Haitian bread is the generic name of traditional Haitianbread. Haitians love to bake bread and serve it with their meals as anappetizer or just as a snack. One of the most popular ways to consume Haitianbread is with a nice cup of coffee. A lot of Haitians have breakfasts thatconsist of Haitian bread and coffee each morning. That will surely wake you upin the morning and give you the energy necessary to proceed with the rest ofyour day. Not all Haitian bakers will prepare their bread the same.You can find Haitian bread that is baked in all different shapes and sizes,depending on your preferences. Haitian bakers also like to add their own uniqueingredients to diversify their breads even more. Some of these ingredientsinclude spices and herbs to add more flavor. Below is a recipe for the simplified version of theHaitian bread recipe. There are only seven ingredients and most of them areeasily attainable. In fact, it wouldn’t be surprising if you have all of themin your kitchen cupboard already. They are the most basic ingredients that youcould find anywhere.
- 1 lbs of Bread Flour
- 1 Instant Dry Yeast Package
- 1¼ Cups of Warm Water
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- 4 tbsp of Cold Butter
- 1 ½ tsp of Salt
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil (to grease bowl)
- Put a large bowl on the counter. Add butter, sugar, flour, and yeast tothe bowl. Use your hands to mix all of the ingredients around in the bowl. Dothis for between 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt and warm water to the bowl. Continue to mix all of it aroundwith your hands. Try to work it all together until you have a smooth doughysubstance everywhere. It should take 5 to 10 minutes before you achieve thisgoal. There is no need to add any more water or flour to the bowl. Just work itall together until there is no more water in sight.
- Make a small ball out of the dough and put it aside. Grab another bowland grease it up with olive oil. Put the ball of dough into the bowl. Put a lidover the bowl and store it somewhere cool and dry for between 45 and 60 minutes.
- Turn on the oven and set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.Prepare your countertop by lightly greasing it. Remove the lid from the bowland take out the ball of dough. Place the dough onto the greasy countertop.Flatten the dough with your hands until it is a flat square.
- Use a knife to cut and divide the flat doughy square into four smallersquares of equal size. Grab one square and roll it up into a spiral log astightly as possible. Do the same to the other three squares.
- Grab a baking pan and use some of the olive oil to grease it up. Placethe four dough rolls into the greasy pan. Put the pan in the oven and let itbake for between 25 and 30 minutes.
- Take out the bread and leave it alone to cool down for a few minutes.Serve each square to your guests.
This recipe is meant to give you the experience in creating standard Haitian bread. But you might want to shape the dough differently in the future. As you gain more experience, you could try rolling the dough into different shapes and seeing how it turns out. You could also add other ingredients to the dough and make it your own creation, such as raisins, cinnamon, onions or any other type of Haitian bread you had in mind.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!