Sos Pwa Nwa
Sos Pwa Nwa is a Haitian black bean soup. Haitiansnormally eat this soup with white rice, but it is optional. The important thingis that black beans are added to the soup because that is the base ingredient. Youcan also add any other types of beans that you prefer, such as white beans andkidney beans. Some Haitians love to have two or three different types of beansin their soup. The choice is yours.Sos Pwa Nwa is different than other bean-based soupsbecause it has a creamy savory taste to it. The sweetness comes from thecoconut milk ingredient, which might sound unusual to someone from the west.However, the Haitians love to put coconut milk in lots of their recipes. It isa nutritious ingredient that tastes sweet and delicious, so why not? Black bean soup is not an expensive meal to prepare. Ifyou can get the black beans and coconut milk, then all the other ingredientsare very inexpensive to obtain. In fact, check your kitchen cabinets becauseyou probably have the salt, pepper, and olive oil already. You may even havethe chicken bouillon and ground cloves, especially if you normally prepareHaitian dishes at home.
- 1 lbs of Black Beans
- 1 cup of Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp of Salt
- 1 tbsp of Pepper
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Ground cloves
- 1 Chicken Bouillon
- 8 Cups of Water
- You’ll need a cooking pot that is 5 quarts in size. Addwater to the pot and place it on the stove. Turn the temperature of the stoveto medium high. Wait until the water boils.
- Also, the beans willabsorb a lot of the water in the pot as they boil. For this reason, you mightfind it necessary to add more water to the pot in order to keep the beansboiling throughout this time.Add the dry black beans to the boiling water. It shouldtake approximately 60 minutes for the beans to turn soft. You’ll have to stiraround the beans throughout those 60 minutes to prevent them from sticking tothe pot.
- Test your beans to see if they’re soft. If they are soft,then add 75% of these beans to your blender. Add bean water from the pot to theblender. Activate the “puree” option on the blender and hold down the lid aseverything blends together.
- You should still have 25% of the beans still in the cooking pot. Put astrainer on top of the pot. Now strain the puree from the blender into the pot.
- Add salt, coconut milk, chicken bouillon and olive oil to the pot. Stiraround the ingredients slowly to mix them well.
- Change the temperature of the stove to low heat. Allow the contents ofthe pot to cook for about 15 minutes.
- The Sos Pwa Nwa should now be ready to eat. You’ll notice it has a lotof puree but that was necessary to make it a soup-like dish. You have the optionto add white rice to the soup if you want to make its contents thicker.Haitians love to add white rice because they love rice in general.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!