Dous Makos is a type of Haitian fudge that includeslayers of vanilla and chocolate in it. It is also prepared with red foodcoloring, which will appear as a red stripe that goes down the middle of thefudge. The vanilla layer is the primary layer that you see onthe outside of the fudge. However, you can mess around with this recipe andcreate it in several different ways. If you want to have more chocolate thanvanilla, then you can simply double up on the chocolate and cut down thevanilla. Every Haitian creates their Dous Makos a little bit differentlyanyway. In 1939, a man by the name of Fernand Macos createdHaitian fudge for the first time. He is considered to be the “Milton S. Hershey”of Haiti. Mr. Hershey, of course was the person who founded the famous Americanchocolate company called “Hershey’s.” Although Macos never made as big a name for himself asHershey, he is still a recognizable figure of Haitian history. The native Haitianslook up to Macos as the person who introduced fudge and candy to the country ina more commercialized way. The total preparation time is about 5 minutes, and thetotal cooking time is about 25 minutes. In total, it will take you 60 minutesto complete all of these steps.
- 2 Cups of Sugar
- ½ Cup of Whole Milk
- 1 (14 oz.) Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 8 tbsp of Butter
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp of Anise Star Extract
- ¼ tsp of Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of Cinnamon
- Red Food Coloring (Optional red layer)
- ¼ tsp of Cocoa Powder (Optional Dark brown layer)
- Wax Paper
- Mini Loaf Pans
- Grab a cooking pot with a non-stick formula on thesurface of it. Add every ingredient mentioned above except for the cocoa powderand red food coloring. Put the pot on the stove and set the temperature tomedium high. Let everything cook as you continue to stir the ingredients aroundand mix them together. Keep doing this until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Increase the heat on the stove to high. Stir the ingredients around forthe next 20 to 25 minutes. You’ll want the mixture to have a lava consistencyto it. You should also test the temperature of the mixture by placing a candythermometer into it. If the temperature is about 115°C, then you are good togo.
- Turn off the heat to the stove. Keep stirring the mixturefor about 10 to 15 more minutes. The shininess of the mixture should start todissipate because it is cooling down. That is a good thing.
- Take out some mini loaf pans. Put wax paper on the pans. Add the mixtureto the wax paper. Wait until the mixture hardens onto the paper. It should take50 to 60 minutes for this to happen.
- The mixture is now hardened fudge. Take off the fudge from the pan.Slice the fudge into vertical strips.
- Put the fudge in the refrigerator to make them chilled. Serve the cooled fudge to your guests. Thereshould be enough fudge to serve 8 to 10 people.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!