Below are theingredients for Haitian bouillon and the dumplings that go into it as the baseingredient.Haitian bouillon is a type of Haitian beef stew that iscooked all over the country. The Haitian people love to eat this stew becauseit warms them up during the colder days and nights of the year. People who arefeeling sick or ill have been known to feel better after eating Haitianbouillon. It is like the equivalent of chicken soup in the United States interms of being a good food to give to sick people. Certain Haitians cook bouillon differently than others,depending on the region of Haiti it comes from. The main differences betweenthe various Haitian stews pertain to their spices, herbs and temperature.However, the primary ingredients found in all Haitian bouillon are beef,dumplings, malanga, and plantains.
- 1 lb of Cubed Beef
- 2 Limes (Split or Cut in Half)
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Scallions
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Crushed and chopped)
- 2 tbsp of Salt
- ½ tbsp of Black Pepper
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs Parsley
- 1 Thyme Sprig
- 2 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 Celery Sticks
- 1 Malanga (cut into chunks)
- 2 Plantains
- 1 Yucca
- 10 oz of Spinach
- 2 Cup of Whole Wheat or White Flour
- 1 tbsp of Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp of Spice (all-season)
- 1 tsp of Nutmeg
- 1 tsp of Cayenne pepper
- ½ Cup of Water
- Prepare your cubed beef for some Haitian cleaning with lime juice andhot water in a large bowl. Use the limes that you cut in half and squeeze thejuice from them onto the meat. You could also use straight up lime juice and itwould be the same difference.
- The cubed beef can now be marinated with salt, pepper, scallions, andgarlic. Put the bowl of marinated cubed beef in the refrigerator and leave itthere for at least 60 minutes.
- You don’t have to waste those 60 minutes by doing nothing. Take thistime to prepare the dumplings. Grab a second large bowl and put the water,cayenne pepper, nutmeg, spice, olive oil, and flour ingredients into it. Mixall of the ingredients together thoroughly and leave it alone for a bit.
- After the 60 minutes has expired, take out the cubed beef from therefrigerator. Put the beef inside of a large pot and put the pot on the stove.Set the temperature to medium heat until the meat turns brown.
- Add one quart of water to the pot. Now add thyme, parsley, bay leaves,and cloves in there too. Keep the heat on medium for 40 minutes. Periodicallystir the ingredients that are in the pot.
- Measure three quarters of water in a measuring cup and dump the waterinto the pot. Now wait until the water boils over the stove.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the yucca, plantains,malanga, celery, spinach, and carrots. Mix everything together and let itcontinue to cook for up to 20 minutes.
- Now you can add the dumplings as the final ingredient on top of therest. Let the mixture simmer on the stove for 20 minutes. You can leave the potuncovered the entire time. The dumplings don’t need to be mixed into the other ingredients. If youattempt to stir them into everything, they will fall apart.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!